Friday, August 21, 2009

hospital visit

Well I lied :) I said that the next time I would update would be after my appointment with the surgeon. I did not know when I wrote the last update that I would be spending 3 days in the hospital. I will quickly tell how I got here, and what has happened since Ive been here.

Ya'll do know that since the colonoscopy procedure I havent been doing the best. Each day after the procedure I was able to eat less and less, and each day I got sicker and sicker. By monday and tuesday, food was pretty much not appetizing, and the pain was just getting more severe! I had a bout of vomiting that lasted for about 5 minutes solid, I knew I couldn't let myself keep getting worse. I then called my Dr. on Wednesday morning, and he highly suggested that I came in to the hospital. He called in before me to make it easier to get through the ER.

Once I made it back to the ER room, they immediately started me on a bag of IV fluid, and pushed some heavy narcotic pain med and nausia med through. Whew! That stuff hit me in less than 60 seconds, and I felt for a few minutes like I couldn't breath, or hear anything. I started just crying and crying.....I rolled over on my side, and fell right asleep. It was amazing the instant relief I felt from it. It was almost as if everything in my whole stomach area was able to release from a strong hold it had had on me for so long, and I could relax and breath. Made me instantly glad I had gone in! They told me later I was very dehydrated and malnourished, and would be admitted. It was a blessing that they got me into a room so quickly! Only had to be down in the ER for about 3 hrs. Once in my room they were running all kinds of stuff into my veins......Heavy pain meds, iv steroids, potassium, anti-biotics, and lots of fluids! The first night was so much better when it came to pain. The nurse came in though at 3 a.m. and took my blood pressure which was at a very low 58/37! They did as much as they could to get it up into the low 70's, and then waited til morning. In the morning they took some blood, and found out that my anemia was really low as well! It was running around an 8 instead of the normal 14. They then decided to give me a blood transfusion. Took most of the day to run in the 2 units of blood. I almost immediately started to get color and feel lots better! My little sister Katie was with me the whole day on Wednesday so David was able to get out for the afternoon and go take a shower and catch a nap since the recliner in the room did not tend him much sleep. I found out last night night that I am still in quite a bit of pain but have been numb to it since they have had me on a rotation of vicaden and morphene every 4 hrs. I tried going last night without any and paid for it. I gave in early this morn and went ahead and took some. So many friends and family have come to see me and let me know of there on going prayers. What a blessing!! We haven't had to worry about any meal either because there has been someone there each time ready and willing to bring us anything we could want or need!

David and I are very glad that we made the decision to obey the Dr. and come in. I don't know how much worse I would have kept getting if I would have just stayed home.

Still here right now, but just got the confirmation that I get to go home later. Thank-you everyone for your prayers!!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jess! I am so glad to hear that you have had some relief from your pain!!! We have been praying for you constantly, and the boys have been praying for "Aunt Jess" as well! I don't know what you want or need, but I would love to help yuo out in any way possible! Maybe I can make you guys supper or something! Please let me know! Love you girl and keeping you uplifted in prayer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica! I know that I've not been able to really get to know you much, but the Lord has laid you on my heart so much this summer and now this year all that you are going through...I just want to say-I truly know nothing of what you are going through, but I have been praying like crazy and sure hope I can help in ANY way I can for you and your husband-to be honest, especially since your little girl went to Heaven, I've watched you...your precious spirit as the Lord has allowed these trials has been one of strength and sweetness!!! Please know that I am in constant prayer for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww,Jessica, love you and am praying for you.Cara

    ReplyDelete