Sunday, August 30, 2009

Visit with surgeon

I am finally getting around to updating this from my visit to the surgeons last week. Sorry it's taken me so long. I want to include in this update a few of the blessings that the Lord has showered on us during this time. The surgeon really didn't have much new news to share with us. My mom and husband both went with me to hear everything he had to say, and ask lots of questions.
His name is Dr. Graves (not the best last name for a surgeon :) ). He is a very serious, lay-it-out flat like it is type of man. He explained to us that a major surgery like this gets the best results when split up into 3 smaller surgeries. This process however takes a good part of a year, anywhere from 9-12 months. Each surgery is still major, and will take many weeks each time to recover from. The first one would be the complete removal of my colon and rectum, and putting in place of an ileostomy. Essentially, this would be removing the disease from my body. An ileostomy is an outside bag (if everyone can understand that). This is kinda embarrassing for me. Dr. Graves will want to see not only me recover well from this first one, but also my general health to be improved before they go in to start surgery #2. The second surgery is reconstructive surgery. This is where they will actually take the end part of the small intestine, and shape it into a "J" shaped bag that will later act as my new colon, and then they will attach that to the rectum. Sew me back up and let that heal. Once that is all healed, they can go in for the third and final surgery. Here they will take off the ileostomy (Yeah!!) and redirect my bowels to run through the new "colon" and out like a normal person.
I'm sorry if this gets a little detailed and gross for some of you. :) It is what it is, and I am trying to explain it in the nicest way I can. This news of 3 surgerys that would take close to a year to complete was a surprise to me. I wasn't really expecting to be down and out for so long, and believe me I am not looking forward to having an ileostomy for that long either. The dr. said that I have definately been dealing with this for long enough, and have exhausted all the medical options out there, and that I am a perfect case for surgery. He didn't say however that I need to get the surgery done right away, and that he will leave the choice of when I get it up to me. He would not want to push something as serious as this on anyone unless it was life theatening.
After talking to us for a while he had my guests leave, and did a very invasive exam on me. He found out very quickly how inflamed and sensetive I was, and that I was not too prideful to let him hear how painful it was for me! It is a good mom who has a good strong vicaden to give me after something like that! :) I am blessed to have such a wonderful mother who cares for me so much! She is so bad, she puts so much stress on her own body worrying about me so much. I love her, and wouldn't trade her for anything in the world! David's family as well has done so much for us....I am very lucky to have married into such a wonderful family!
Last Sunday David came home with 2 very large fruit baskets from our church family! These things were huge, and full of all kinds of snacks and fruits, and drinks. We will eat for a year from them! :) Something that we treasured even more was the large stack of cards from the church family. We sat down and opened card after card. There was money and gift cards to all kinds of practical places like H-E-B, Walmart, Target, ad more! So many poeple who cared so much, and took the time to write us and tell us that they are praying. One card I was reading out loud said, "may the Lord give you a scripture or a hymn during these difficult moments, and may He sprinkle blessings around you reminding you how much He loves you, and how very near He is". I could barely finish reading it, and I was balling! I looked up at David and then down at everything and said with tears in my voice, "babe, look, He is here.... He is watching over us!" Sometimes in the midst of it all we get caught up in the stress and pain, and in each other or even ourselves and we loose sight of God. Almost as if we go blind. It has been almost impossible to lately with so many church family and friends and family there calling and texting letting us know that they are there to help. It is such an encouragment to have such good friends and family! We love you all!
I will say quickly that David and I are praying and talking seriously about starting the surgery sooner rather than later. My overall health has just dropped down to a lower level, and I don't think that there is any coming back from it. I am in constant pain, and not sleeping much. I don't really want to live on 6+ presciptions for the next 6 months while my health keeps going downhill. We want to make the right decision, and are spending much time thinking and praying about this option. I will ask for you to pray with us about this. We will be talking more to the surgeon this next week, and flooding him with even more questions. If and when we set anything in stone I will post an update. Thank-you all for the prayers!

5 comments:

  1. While I know that this surgery will be a long and difficult process, I am glad that surgeon thinks you are a good candidate and that you get some relief from your pain. We'll keep praying for you and David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will continue to pray for you as you embark on this new road to recovery. God knows best and has your best interest at heart. Praise the Lord for such a wonderful God. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yes... that sounds all too familiar. I have had th e"first step" in the surgery process and have actually been told that whenever I decide, they could do the complete rest of the surgery at once,... to be perfectly honest, I have heard of many people who after going through several surgeries, wished they haden't, but just kept the ostomy pouch. The recovery pains and process was not worth it they said. So, that leaves me in the valley of decision... Eventually you adjust to the first surgery and get used to life with the "bag", it takes a while to realize you can still do just about everything you used to do, ( plus it took me a long time to not feel like a freak and that not everyone knew that I had a pouch). You won't believe the difference in you health once your colon ( sounds crude I know) To know that you will never have that pain and problem again is so liberating! They told me that I would feel better than I had in years and of course at the time I didn't believe them... I couldn't remember being healthy! Truth be told, I have energy again, and color! ( I am pale anyway, but everyone comments on the coloring that I have in my face!) I know you have many desicions to make, and having been there before, I am praying for God to gove you wisdom and provide for all your needs. ( if it's any comfort, I was in the life threatening category, so I had no warning or preparations for my surgery. I passed out and when I really remember the first time waking up, it was done. Praise the Lord for a husband who made the right decisions and never left my side! Anyway, God bless and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, It's ML from Thirtysomething. You have had a tough few years. I remember being so sick for so long. Now I am healthy and symptom free (traces of uc activity in my colon but not active) and now, now I have to have the surgery due to high grade dysplasia. I noticed from this post the word HEB. Wondering where in TX you live. I am in Houston. Thinking of you and now back to reading your story. ML

    ReplyDelete