Thursday, November 5, 2009

One Day at a Time...

I do remember in my last blog update that I promised a picture. Here is a recent one of me and my wonderful husband at a wedding we attended on the 24th of October....which also happened to be the day of his 26th birthday. He does look rather handsome if I do say so myself! :)






The past week and a half has went by in a kind of blurr. It has been a time of testing my strength, pushing myselff to do more than I probably would have just being at home. Overall, my efforts have been for the good. There were some days that I pushed myself a little too much, and paid for it the next, but in the case of doing it over I wouldn't change any of it. I was able to go to my second cousin's rehersal dinner, and wedding. It was so good to see and talk to everyone from my dads side of the family. At the time I was still quite weak, and didn't have much stamina to stand long or walk far. I refused at the beginning of the night to use the whealchair, but halfway through the night and only making it halfway down a long path I gave up. The rest of the night I stayed sitting down in the whealchair, and watching all the excitment go on all around me. I wanted so bad to just get up and be strong and healthy like so many there. It will definately be a night to remember, but it did take all my strength from me.


The very next day started our churchs' anual Mission's Conferrence. Growing up, this week was always one of the highlights of the year. As a teenager, and in college we were always right in the center of doing the decorating, being in singing groups and chiors, and helping with plays. For anyone, this week would put its tole on you, but it was always worth it. It was very hard for me this year not to be involved in anything that took place for the Missions Conference. Last Year we kept a wonderful family to Brazil in our home with us, and just fell in love with them and their field! I remember telling David way back in the summer to remember to talk to someone early about keeping another family at the Missions Conference for this year. Not only could we not keep anyone, but I couldn't take part in singing, much less attend every night. I pushed myself to go as much as I could, and only missed 2 nights. It is such a testimony to see so many families with their hearts wholy surrendered to God. The Lord really helped me to see how my life (albeit an unhealthy one) can affect so many others around me, and that through it all I can touch lives only I would every know. How true it is that I must keep strong in the Lord no matter how down I get at times. Down isn't really a very good adjective to use either. Throughout everything I've come through I have faced some pretty serious times of depression! There have been days and nights I lay weeping into my pillow....evenings full of pain and hurt both physically and emotionally. Down is just a nice way of saying that I struggle everyday with keeping my mind and heart set on the Lord, and that in the end there is a perpose in it all.


Last week I had my first post-op visit to my doctor. I didn't recieve the best news ever. He wants me to wait at least 6 months before I have my second surgery instead of the suspected 3 month wait. Along with that, he talked to me about the possibilities still that I might have Crohns. When I was in the hospital they did a tissue test to see whether or not I had the disease in my small intestine. It came back negative, and we've been thankful about that ever since. My doctor told me that he wasn't convinced with just that one test. He has had over 30 years plus of experience doing these surgeries, and he said that the way it looked and felt to him while he was in there just set a red alarm to him that it was Crohns. He has ordered more detailed testing to be done before he will be convinced of it, and give me the ok to go on to the next surgery. Please pray hard with me that the results remain negative. Keeping my ileostomy for life isn't something I want to have to get used to.


In just the past two weeks my strength has increased alot. I can feel my back and stomach muscles getting stronger everyday. I have been trying to stretch the muscles in my stomach, and fill my lungs full of air. Ever since the surgery, my lungs haven't been at full compacity. At first it was hard to breathe, and hard to talk. Slowly it has gotten better and better, but it still hurts to yawn deep and cough. The stretching has helped to open it all back up. My membership at 24HR fitness has been frozen, and we just unfroze it so I can start working out and getting all the muscles in my body strong and ready for surgery #2.


This past week I started having problems with my stoma. My stoma has been shrinking so the seal from the ileostomy hasn't been holding strong. Because of this all the skin around my stoma is very irritated and beginning to become infected. I have called my doctor, and will be going to see my stoma nurse soon. I hope she can help because it is very painful!


My thanks and love goes out to everyone of you!







5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you were able to go to the wedding and everything. You looked gorgeous!! I'm praying for you and the problems that you've been having. I hope the nurse can help you out. Also praying for the emotional issues which can be so horrible :*(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have never met you... But when I saw you at the missions Conference last week at your church(I'm from NY)... I have to tell you that really encouraged me... That everything you have gone through and is going through you still made it! Your in my prayers daily...
    ~Katie
    by the way you guys look great in your picture above!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picture is adorable! I am still praying for you everyday, and you are such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'all are a beautiful couple. How many weeks now has it been since surgery? six weeks? Is that when they say you can resume exercise. Just for my own fyi. I hope that you have many more good and strong days than weak ones. It is hard to face. I am one week out and today I just didnt want to get out of bed. My heart was racing just thinking of all that will come. I will pray that you do not end up with diagnosis of Crohn's in the end. I have heard that it happens. I know someone personally that it did. He had surgery and it came back that he had Crohn's all along. Although it was tough pill to swallow at first he is happier now as he has little problems with pain and bathroom issues. He will admit that the surgery improved his life even though he found out he was not cured. but back to you. I will pray that you do not suffer more. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the latest update- and the beautiful picture of you and your hubby! =) Praying for you, and proud of you for persevering and shining for Jesus in the midst of such big challenges! Thanks for being an encouragement to me! Love, Kristi & family

    ReplyDelete